Wearing a hijab.

I would imagine being a Muslim woman in a hijab today could be compared to being gay in the way that gays were and sometimes are still looked at and treated.

My friend Laura posted this today:
http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/3322132-155/interfaith-leaders-urge-utahns-to-wear

 I decided to be part of it and here are my thoughts:

I wore a hijab today to show support for "freedom of religion without persecution" as asked by interfaith leaders in Salt Lake City. I only wore it out to 2 stores, not that far from my homes. My daughter asked me what I was wearing. I told her and told her about Muslims being made fun of and harassed and such and that it isn’t ok to do that. Interfaith leaders asked people to wear something outwardly to show support of religious freedom without being harassed, etc. Though I do believe there are times to be cautious, I never believe it is ok to harass, attack, or make fun of anyone because of religion or even lack thereof. We talked a little of terrorist attacks and people now (and before too) being harassed, etc because of how they are dressed.

The first thoughts were from my youngest, young-ish son. The first thing he said, which took me by surprise, was he didn’t want me to get shot. I assured him that that was highly unlikely. Then he was confused. The people harassing them must not be Christian, he said. I am very grateful that my children have pretty high standards of what they think being Christian means. I have heard all of them at one time or another, slightly confused, aren’t they Christian? Or they must not be Christian, because of someone’s actions. I am grateful that they know that it is not Christian or Christ-like to harass or make fun of someone because of their religious beliefs or outward religious symbols or clothing.

My children have been exposed to many different cultures and peoples even if it has been in a small way. I grew up traveling around the world and being exposed to different cultures and people. I have been the only white girl in a China Market, in China, with my family. I have been the only white person in a room of Cambodian women. I have been in the Yucatan Peninsula singing hymns in Spanish as the only white family in the room and then the only white person in a room of Hispanic youth. All those places we were welcome though; even a novelty. I am grateful that my parents took us around the world and as much as possible to where real people lived and to church to actually mingle with real people.

Though welcome, sometimes it was a little …interesting being the only white person around. I can’t imagine being the only white person and not feeling welcomed. What bravery it must take! I remember my mother talking about when her school went to integration from segregation and her making a point to friend one of the African-American girls. For me, that is just how I was taught: by word and example. From talking with my children today, they have been taught the same things.
So, today… my thoughts both just from a white girl’s perspective and more serious reflective thoughts. It was actually nice to wear it when it was cold outside but I was a little warm in the store. In the summer it would be really difficult to wear I would imagine. Also I have really sensitive skin and my scarf hijab started to get a little itchy to me. I would imagine if you wore them every day you would make sure you wear ones that don’t make you itch. :)

I noticed a few people look at me or take a second look. I am a white girl in a hijab. :)As I walked around I thought about what it would be like if you were a girl who was really shy. That would so difficult. Another thought was it wouldn’t be so bad going to the places you go on a regular basis but going somewhere new. That could be really unsettling and scary potentially. I am still pondering my small experience but those are my thoughts for now.

Some comments I read basically said that this isn’t a real experience as tomorrow I won’t be wearing one. I disagree wholeheartedly. I can’t imagine what it would really like to be a Muslim woman living in America right now or anywhere in the world, but I did get a little taste. That little taste changed my perceptive and changed the perspective of my children and that is worth a lot. Today I got a taste of “You never truly know someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes.” My daughter, shortly after I got home went and put a scarf on her head and used part to tie back her hair. What I did today mattered to me and to my children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gay Marriage

Adjusting My Frame of Reference

#6 On affection, Part 1